Friday 24 December 2010

Past Real Conditional / Past Unreal Conditional

Using the words in brackets, complete the text below with the appropriate conditional form.

Claire: Eliza, have you ever had a teacher who changed your life or influenced you greatly?

Eliza: Yes. But that teacher influenced me in a very negative way. I have always had problems with maths, and I think it comes from my seventh grade maths teacher, Mr. Harrison. He thought girls couldn't do maths. When any of the girls (ask) _____________a question, he always (sigh) ______________and (say) _____________, "Girls can't do maths. It's a well-known fact." When a boy (ask) ________________a question, he (smile) _________________and (ask) ___________________for his answer.

Claire: That's terrible! Your teacher actually said that to you?

Eliza: Yes. If he ever did let me answer a question, and I actually got it right, he always (say) _________________that it was a lucky guess.

Claire: Your parents (should, do) _________________something about him. They (could, go) ________________to the principle of the school and complained about the way Mr. Harrison treated the girls. If you (be) _______________________my child, I (demand) _________________________that such an irresponsible teacher be sacked.

Eliza: You're right! If somebody (force) _______________Mr. Harrison to treat the children equally, I (become) ________________more confident in maths. His behaviour (might, affect) _________________every girl in that class.

Claire: It might have. I'm glad my children don't have teachers like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment